FLOOD PROTECTION, REHABILITATION AND IRRIGATION OF
LIM AND DRINA RIVER BASIS
Preparation of design for the flood protection, rehabilitation and irrigation of Lim River Basin with the aim of mitigating the impact of climate change and sustainable use of natural resources and assessment of climate change impacts on groundwater in Drina River Basin in Montenegro
The Project comprises three main components:
- Component 1: Multi-state cooperation in trans-boundary DRB management,
- Component 2: Pilot investments for integrated DRB management including flood and drought management as well as climate change resilience, and
- Component 3: Project management, monitoring, evaluation and auditing.
The overall objective of the Project is:
- Flood prevention and irrigation in the Lim River Basin (with Grnčar River) with the aim of mitigating the impact of climate change,
- Assessment of climate change impacts on groundwater aquifers in the Lim river basin, and
- Integration of environmental and social measures in all stages of Project implementation.
• Lim River
- The area of Lim River Basin is 5,785 km2 (of which 2,880 km2 belongs to Montenegro).
- The Lim river flows by Andrijevica, Berane, Bijelo Polje, Prijepolje and Priboj.
- The total river length is about 220 km (in Montenegro is about 94 km).
- In the Bijelo Polje river width is 45 m and river depth is 2 m; near Prijepolje, width is 60 m, depth is 2 m. At several places in the canyons, the width of the river is only 3 m.
LAST UPDATE: 23.08.2018.